Caritas Social Action Network is an agency of the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of England and Wales, and an independent charity. The Bishops’ Conference appoints a Bishop as the Chair of Trustees, appoints two other episcopal Trustees and approves the other Trustees.
We are registered in England and Wales as a charity (number 1101431) and a company limited by guarantee (number 4505111).
We want England and Wales to be places where every person can flourish in their families and communities, living with peace and human dignity. We strive especially for the voices of the poor and wounded to be heard and acted upon.
With Christian social action at its heart CSAN will be the inclusive, effective and cohesive network of charities grounded in Catholic Social Teaching and of Caritas dioceses across England and Wales.
CSAN will be:
- An effective agent for positive change in society
- The conduit that connects and binds our members in their faith-based work for justice
- A support; encouraging and enabling our members to thrive and to become as good as possible at what they do and offer
- A critical friend to those with influence and authority within the Church
- An effective advocate for the people our member charities serve, challenging decision makers when needed.
Caritas Social Action Network shares in the mission of the Catholic Church in England and Wales. We support and facilitate our network of social action charities and dioceses, working in partnership with them to help poor, vulnerable and marginalised people find their voice and to enable them to improve their lives.
In a spirit of love in action and based on our charitable objectives, our mission includes:
- Advocating for and with the poor, the vulnerable and the marginalised of all faiths or none
- Providing expert social policy analysis grounded in Catholic Social Teaching
- Offering a coherent and well informed Catholic voice in the public arena
- Promoting charity and justice in accordance with the Church’s teaching
- Sharing knowledge, expertise and good practice through our forums to benefit our members and their social action work
- Providing theological, spiritual and liturgical resources
- Developing an effective fundraising strategy that will support the growth and financial stability of Caritas Social Action and our Network members
- Working for the Common Good in everything we do.
How we work
With courage, integrity, love, and obedience to the Gospel, Caritas Social Action Network responds to the invitation of the Holy Spirit to work towards a world where every person and community can flourish.
Our day to day work is underpinned by:
- Compassion and heartfelt care, as exemplified by the life of Jesus
- Justice and respect for human dignity and life
- Integrity, sensitivity to others and awareness of the world
- Effectiveness, dynamism and determination to strive for the highest attainable standards in all we do
- Openness and trust
All information above relates to the national organisation. Our 40+ member charities are independent charities with their own Trustees.