Other Schemes

There exist other visa schemes which are not classified as resettlement. These include:

As per immigration rules, the Home Office processes applications and has published guidance on the Gov.UK webpage for each scheme. There are also many charities and organisations offering legal advice and guidance regarding eligibility and applications.

Hong Kong British National (Overseas) Visa (BNO)

The BN(O) visa was launched in January 2021 in order to allow those who chose to acquire BNO status on Hong Kong’s handover to China in 1997, to emigrate to the UK. 

It grants individuals and their eligible family members permission to stay in the UK for a period of 2 years and 6 months, with the option to extend, or for 5 years, following which they may apply for settlement, and subsequently British citizenship.

Those with a BN(O) visa have the right to live, study and work in the UK. 

Further government guidance can be found on their webpage . The government has also published a welcome guide, with helpful information on settling in the UK and accessing services.

For those wishing to support arrivals, UK Welcomes Refugees has posted a list of organisations providing support. 

EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS)

Following the UK’s departure from the European Union, the EUSS was introduced to offer EU, EEA and Swiss citizens residing in the UK, to protect their residence in the UK.

The original deadline to apply was 30 June 2021 but late applications are permitted with a ‘reasonable grounds’ explanation for the delay in application. Further details regarding eligibility and application can be found on the Gov.UK webpage.

There are two types of status, settled and pre-settled. Those who have lived in the UK for 5 years may apply for settled status, otherwise, an application is made for pre-settled status and after 5 years of continuous residence, an application may be made for settled status. 

Citizens Advice Bureau have outlined the application process on their webpage. 

If you know anyone who may need advice on their immigration status post-Brexit and guidance on the EUSS, please refer to them to the above links, or an immigration advisor. 

Image: Ukraine march and rally. Credit: Catholic Church England and Wales on Flickr